Installing Redmine on HostGator Shared Hosting

Here is what I learn from other resource (see bottom of post)

After deciding to move my host to HostGator.com, I was very excited that HG support for Ruby on Rails and Python. Because I really want to improve the management of my company, I decided to install Redmine on my host. Here is what I have done. If you want to follow my path, it’s ok but I don’t guarantee anything. I just want to write this to make me remember if I forget someday.

Redmine is one of the most powerful of open source code project management software (I said open source code, not just open source). So many recomendation come from forums I join in. I have tried so many project management software that is based on PHP (before I host in HostGator), but none of them can satisfy me. So many reasons, such as no integration with Version Control, bad user interface, too complicated to use, and so on.

Before you continue to read, make sure you have already enabled the SSH acces. You can do it by entering your account in https://gbclient.hostgator.com/ and then View Hosting Package. On your ready-to-redmined domain, click Enable SSH Access.

Redmine use database, one of supported DBMS is MySql, that I use here. So, prepare your database (I did it via cPanel) and user for your redmine. I hope you already know how to do it.

First of all, open a terminal window to your HostGator-account using SSH (with PuTTY for example) to perform the following commands:

1. Edit bash_profile
  2. nano ~/.bash_profile
  3. If the following environment variable does not exist, add it:
  4. export RAILS_ENV=production
  5. Log off, and then log in again to make it active.
  6. If the following folder does not exist, create ~/rails_apps/:
  7. mkdir ~/rails_apps
  8. Check your Ruby and Rails version according to Redmine Install Wiki
  9. ruby -v
    rails -v
  10. Go to rails directory
  11. cd ~/rails_apps/
  12. Checkout trunk of redmine and enter the directory
  13. svn co http://redmine.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk redmine
    cd ~/rails_apps/redmine/
  14. Create database configuration by copying from the example
  15. cp config/database.yml.example config/database.yml
  16. Edit database config file
  17. nano config/database.yml
  18. You will open text editor of that file. Edit it according to your setting in production block.
  19. production:
    adapter: mysql
    database: your_redmine
    host: localhost
    username: your_redmine
    password: your_redmine
    encoding: utf8
  20. Save using Ctrl + O and exit using Ctrl + X. Continue with following command:
  21. rake config/initializers/session_store.rb
    rake db:migrate
    rake redmine:load_default_data
  22. Because you install redmine not in http area, you need to create a soft link to redmine public folder. For example, you have folder team in public_html, or just subdomain team that use the folder.
  23. ln -s /home/your-account/rails_apps/redmine/public /home/your-account/public_html/team
  24. Open environment file
  25. nano ~/rails_apps/redmine/config/environment.rb
  26. Make sure the following line is included in the file.
  27. ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'production'
    ENV['RAILS_RELATIVE_URL_ROOT'] = "/redmine" # Not necessary if you plan to access your redmine via subdomain.
  28. Continue with the following command
  29. cd ~/rails_apps/redmine/tmp/
    rails -d mysql --with-dispatchers tmpredmine
    cp -i tmpredmine/public/dispatch.* ~/rails_apps/redmine/public/
    rm -rf tmpredmine
  30. Now you can point your web browser to redmine, for example:
  31. http://team.yourdomain.com (depending on your configuration)
  32. Log on as admin with password admin (default from redmine). Create new Administrator user, and disable the admin account (recommended).
  33. Install necessary gems, to make sure Redmine and its plugin can find it. Check your gem pathgem environment
  34. Same with step 1, edit your bash_profile and add these lines
  35. export GEM_HOME=$HOME/ruby/gems
    export GEM_PATH=$GEM_HOME:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    export GEM_CACHE=$GEM_HOME/cache
    export PATH=$PATH:$GEM_HOME/bin
  36. Same with step 11, add these following lines to the beginning of the ~/rails_apps/redmine/config/environment.rb file.
  37. $:.push("/home/your-account/ruby/gems")
    ENV['GEM_PATH'] = '/home/your_account/ruby/gems:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8'
  38. Install plugins you want to install to Install the plugins you want into ~/rails_apps/redmine/vendor/plugins.
  39. Finish, you may use your redmine.

I try to not download from subversion, and download the release package then upload manually, but I get an error while accessing my redmine. Maybe this link can help with it (I think it was because of folder and file permission),

After this, I plan to install Mercurial SCM, because HostGator also provide python. I will write the tutorial later. But I already succeed with it.

Source: Here

39 Comments

1. Hi Haqqi,
    First of all, thanks for providing a very good description of how to install Redmine on Hostgator account.
    I also have a Shared Account with HostGator since Nov 2010, however my account came with Rails 2.3.8 and Redmine seems to not support this version, only 2.3.5.
    I already talked to HostGator support and they cannot downgrade my version of Rails.
    I’m wondering which version of Rails did you installed your environment?

thanks,
    Luis

• thank you for reading my tutorial. My hosting account (registered November 2010) came with Rails 2.3.8, and I don’t have any problem installing Redmine. I have read on the Redmine instruction that it must use Ruby 1.8.7 (exact version), but it said that “minimum” rails 2.3.5. So, 2.3.8 will work too, and I have proven that.

Now, I have Rails 3.0.3 on my account, but Redmine seems don’t give any problem. You can do Rails upgrade via SSH, using command:

gems install rails

Hope it will help you.

Update: i think this tutorial won’t work on Rails 3.0.3. You must install Rails 2.3.5 or 2.3.8 and use following command whenever you need rails command:

rails _2.3.5_

2. Hi

I’m following you’re Redmine tutorial for installing Redmine on Hostgator and have got stuck on the following command:

rails -d mysql –with-dispatchers tmpredmine

It just gives me the usage options of rails. So is there something obvious I’m getting wrong?

If it helps I have got 0.9 of Redmine as Hostgator can’t install I18n 0.4.2 on my shared hosting server and I have Railes 3.0.3!

Thanks

• Hi, thank you for reading my blog.

Yes, I got same problem too, I think it was because of Rails 3.0.3. You should install rails. 2.3.5 or 2.3.8 to do that command with pattern:

rails _2.3.8_ -d blablabla

about i18n, you must ask hostgator support to reconfig your rails directory to be your local ruby. So, you will be able to uninstall i18n 0.5 and reinstall the 0.4.2.

Hope it will help you.

• Thanks for the reply. Hostgator have installed that version of i18n now but I am still having problems so have a few questions:

1) In step 15 I can run the command as rails _2.3.8_ -d blablabla, just goes to the next command prompt with no errors, but I haven’t installed any other version of Rails. Does this sound like it’s worked?

2) Should I be seeing anything in the Rails option on my cPanel?

3) Do I need to create a sub domain for the link created in step 12?

4) In my ‘dev’ folder which I’m using for Redmine I have two HTML files, 400 & 500, 3 dispatch files, fav icon and folders. Is that correct?

5) After following all of the steps I visit dev.inewsapps.co.uk and the browser can’t find the page. Is there something obvious I haven’t done e.g. ran the command in 12 but not created a sub domain? Or is it because I have Rails 3.0.3? If I need a previous version how do I install it?

Sorry for all the questions but I would really like to get this working!

• Hei, watch out. I can Jan 1st, 2010, 10:18pm GMT+7, i can login into your domain with default admin user and password. It works, right?

1. you should check whether other rails version installed or not using command “gems list rails”.

2. cPanel currently doesn’t support rails 3.0.3. I have asked the HG support. I think you should not rely on cpanel information.

3. yes, i prefer you should use subdomain (and never publish it, because you just use it in your team).

4. i never check the dev folder. the folder you need to publish your site only “public” folder in rails_app/redmine

5. I have checked the domain, and able to login with default admin user and password. I think you should change it immedietly.

• TL;DR:
      –with-dispatchers
      not
      -with-dispatchers
      [hope that showed up right!]

One of those “dash” (-) looking characters is actually two hyphens compressed together and then replaced with a single representative character. Notice the slight length difference between the hyphens before and after the “with” in the command. The slightly longer one before “with” should be two dashes, a common UNIX convention when a flag is longer than one character (to differentiate “–with” from “-w -i -t -h”).

This should get rid of usage options errors!

3. Haqqi

Thanks for the help. When I posted the last message it wasn’t working so I don’t know what happened there but I have disabled the default account now. Next step, get the email configured!

On the SCM side, have you written the blog post yet as I would like to use SCM, Redmine for source control with Apple’s Xcode?

• Nice to hear that. I use Mercurial as SCM in my HostGator account. I haven’t write the tutorial yet. Maybe as soon as possible.

For email configuration, I think you can just copy email.yml.example to redmine/config/email.yml. Just read redmine documentation, it is clear enough.

4. Thanks for tutorial. I wonder how did you setup Redmine email notification on Hostgator I cannot succeed with it.((((( It always give me error or connection refused 2.

• what send email method you use? i tried gmail smtp and always give error. so I use local smtp which address is “mail.yourdomain.com” port 465 and using mail address that is setup from cpanel to be used as the smtp user.

• The thing is that most tutorials are lacking email.yml setup.

I have a choice:
        1) I can use gmail
        2) I can use normal smtp 25
        3) I can use secure ssl smtp 465

I wonder how is you email.yml looks like? Because you are on hostgator as well. Where did you use ‘ or “. This seems to be confusing.

Any method will be fine for me, but I would prefer not to use gmail.

By the way did you ask support to install additional gems apart from i18?

Thanks for response

• ups, I remember that I got same problem with smtp, and I end up using sendmail method in email.yml. I have set it up with right setting, but it always give an error.

I forgot, but during the installation (after upgrading to rails 3), I ask so many question to support, to reinstall i18n and other..

5. Hi Haqqi
    Thanks for your tutorial! I have everything running and set up!
    But I have a small problem with hostgator, my account has Rails 2.3.5 Installed and I’m not able to upgrade.
    Every time I run “gems install rails” I get kicked out of the shell…
    I contacted the Support but they told me they will “eventually” upgraded when they suit it better…
    Have you had similar problems?
    Regards
    Vlax

6. Hey Haqqi,

Thanks for these instructions. I had to so some additional things:
    - Update Rubygems to 1.3.7: Run “gem update –system 1.3.7″
    - run “rake generate_session_store” before step 11 (as described in the Redmine wiki)
    - Install mysql gem: “gem install mysql”

With all that, the install seems to have gone well, however, I’m stuck at step 16. My website doesn’t seem to run at all. I just get an “500 internal server error” message.

If I check the ROR page in hostgator’s cpanel (http://yourwebsite.com:2082/frontend/x3/ror/index.html), it say that Redmine is “not running”. I can click on start, but it still won’t run. Any idea on how I can find out what went wrong?

Simon

• Hey Simon. I think I had same problems before. My application run well before, but suddenly got 500 Internal Server Error. So I just ask HG support to fix it, and now it is okay. I think you should ask hostgator support too.

7. Having read this I thought it was extremely informative. I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time
    both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was
    still worthwhile!

8. Terrific work! That is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared around the
    net. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this put up higher!
    Come on over and seek advice from my site . Thanks =)

9. Wow, marvelous weblog layout! How long have you been running a blog for? you made blogging look easy. The full look of your web site is excellent, as smartly as the content!

10. I think it was the threat of a Gmail revolution that prompted Yahoo to increase the storage space parceled to its free email accounts last year. (Yahoo’s paid email at the time, of course, gave storage to spare. It’s an example of how the whiff of corporate competition can benefit end users or consumers.) Who remembers rummaging through our Yahoo email accounts deleting emails only weeks, if not days, old? I think Yahoo copied their color coded warning system of diminishing storage space from the easy-to-comprehend terror levels issued by the federal government. Gmail’s arrival, though, changed this – we were ready for something better. Its search-based organization, something we like to see at ConductSearch.com, figured to be a natural step for email world to take.:-

Hottest short article on our own webpage
    <http://www.caramoanpackage.com

11. What i don’t realize is in fact how you’re no longer actually a lot more well-appreciated than you may be right now.
    You are very intelligent. You recognize thus considerably with regards
    to this topic, made me for my part consider it
    from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested until it is something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All the time take care of it up!

12. Along with every little thing that would seem to be building throughout this
    particular place, many of your factors of view transpire to
    become relatively exciting. On the other hand, I
    beg your pardon, due to the fact I can not give credence for
    your entire plan, all be it exhilarating
    none the less. It appears to absolutely everyone that your feedback are truly not totally validated and in actuality you are yourself not really thoroughly particular
    of your assertion. In any case I did consider pleasure in reading by means of it.

13. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff
    previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way
    in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still
    care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you.
    This is really a terrific web site.

14. Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you
    using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

15. We now have atomic digital watches with built-in calculators, barometers and
    solar technology that sit nice and snug on our wrist.
    A Casio G Shock is most likely the best choice,
    try to remember to start your kids off with an analogue watch.
    It is the right solution for rough activities, and you also don’t
    have to be worried about it breaking in case you accidentally drop or
    scraping it along a rock wall.

16. You have to throw the collected dirt from the container in the garbage can in your backyard or
    outside your house to prevent the dust and dirt from getting back
    into your house. Think about the items that are going to be cleaned and read reviews of
    different products to determine which is best for you.

Of course, because a vacuum appliance is very important in our
    lives, we must do all we can to make sure that service
    continues for a longer period of time.

17. Be proud to say that you have always been a fanatic
    of copper tableware as they are the most durable and the more beautiful one can ever have.
    Bamboo tableware and accessories are becoming
    vital part of catering arrangement nowadays. An attractive dinnerware set is usually more inviting and pleasing to the eyes.

Leave a Comment.